Here's Idol sa Kusina Recipe for Episode 99/June 30- CHICKEN DUET :soy chicken & hainanese chicken.
For Soy Chicken
1 whole chicken, cleaned
- 1 cup light soy sauce
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- ½ cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 thick slice fresh ginger, smashed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 8 cups water
Photo and Recipe credit: Idol sa Kusina
1. In a large pot combine the light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, sugar, fennel seeds, star anise, Szechuan peppercorn, ginger, cinnamon stick and the water. Bring to a boil.
3. Add the chicken, breast side down. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook the chicken for 45 minutes, turning over once or twice and making sure it cooks evenly.
4. Remove the chicken from the pot, cool and cut into bite-sized pieces.
For Hainanese Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned
- 1 tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, pureed
- 6 slices ginger, pureed
- 2 spring onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- ½ tsp. salt
1 kg chicken carcasses (or legs or wings)
3 slices ginger
2 spring onions
1. To make the stock, add the chicken carcasses, ginger and spring onions to the pot of water and boil for 1–2 hours, until the stock has a strong chicken flavour. Strain the stock through cheese cloth.
2. Rub the inside of the chicken with the rice wine and half the soy sauce. Rub the garlic, ginger paste and half of the spring onion inside the chicken.
3. Bring a large pot of water to the boil, and add the chicken, remaining ginger and spring onion. Boil until cooked. Remove from the stock and set aside.
4. Remove the chicken from the water. Combine the remaining soy sauce with the sesame oil and salt and rub into the chicken. Leave to cool.
5. To serve, slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Reheat the remaining chicken stock and ladle into small serving bowls, garnishing with sliced spring onion and cilantro. Serve the stock alongside the chicken, rice, ginger sauce, kecap manis and cucumber.
75 g ginger, pureed
6 garlic cloves, pureed
½ tbsp.. lime juice
½ tsp. salt
½ tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. canola oil
1. Combine all the ingredients and set aside.
sliced spring onion