- 1 kg lean beef (rump steak) cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tsp. garam masala
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large white onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 800 ml beef stock
- handful coriander
- 15 -20 curry leaves
- 4 green finger chilies, finely chopped
photo credit: idol sa kusina
For the spice mix:
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 4 tsp. curry powder
1. For the spice mix, combine cumin, coriander, fennel and curry powder. Set aside.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper, garam masala and sear in a hot casserole. Take the beef out and set aside.
3. In the same casserole, add the onions, garlic, chilli, ginger and add the sugar to help caramelise the onions, followed by the ground spice mix, stir and cook for a minute until the onions are soft.
4. Add the seared beef, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, stir over a medium-high heat for a few minutes and then add the beef stock and curry leaves. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 mins. or until the beef is tender.
5. Serve hot with white rice.